Friday, October 8, 2010

Less of me....

So, to inform you of something you may not think that pastors think about is the fact that sometimes we do want to see people in the seats of our churches. There I said it. It is discouraging sometimes because you wonder what is going on? Am I not saying the right things, doing the right games, playing the right videos? While these things can be important to drawing people and entertaining them, do they really matter? For the longest time I have been, for lack of a better word "brainwashed" into thinking that we had to put on a show for people and then tell them about God's Word. Or that I had to present it this way because if I do and the lighting hits just right then, then that person will understand why they need Jesus in their life. Really? Can I draw students by my voice alone? Can the stupid video impact a student's life for eternity? Can that fog light really help me see Jesus?

I have come to this conclusion. That stuff is great and all but the power of God is way better! (I took that from Kanye, get it?) I feel that we focus way too much on saying the right thing, preaching the right thing or entertaining the masses so they can be awed and ewwwed to come back to our services. Since when did the Bible need flashing lights and high energy worship to make sense? Why do we need these things? I think that God wants to move without those things and will if we allow Him to.

You know I heard the other day that the Bible stands alone and doesn't need anyone to doctor it up or dress it up for people to understand. It's plain and simple. The truth is right there. Well, I don't understand what it says? Well, have you read it? Reading a passage from Leviticus about sacrificing animals is probably not the place you need to start. My point is this and I will quit rambling: do we not trust in the power of God to do great things? I mean God is wanting to do amazing things in our lives and the lives of others but do we want that? Are our minds caught up in the flashiness of putting on a production or are we allowing God to draw men unto Himself? Here's the thing I have learned, well still learning, is that God will provide you people that are hurting and need Jesus. What are you going to do with them when they show up? Point them to the flashy lights or point them to the Light that points to forgiveness?

Trusting in God is not easy, in fact it's a huge risk but whom else would you put your trust in? God will provide if you ask. He will move if you ask. He will show you amazing things if you ask. Do you want it?

Not I but Christ,

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment