Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pocket-Sized God

I have been reading lately about how students view God and how their views don't differ much from the adult congregation. It makes me wonder alot about how students are understanding the Gospel but more importantly the beauty and supremacy of God.

I want to post some things that I have read recently in some research that enlightened me about how students view God today. These are from Christ-followers and non-Christians.

1) There is a God that exists who created and orders the world and watches over human life on earth.
2) God wants people to be good, nice and fair to one another, as taught in the Bible and by most religions.
3) The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
4) God does not need to be particularly involved in one's life except when He is needed to resolve a problem.
5) Good people go to heaven when they die.

I was shocked and saddened. Is this what the next generation of the church is thinking? I have my work cut out for me. These students need Jesus and God has called me to share with them the beauty of who He is. But am I living in a way that reflects His supremacy in my life?

Jesus asked the disciples in Mark 8:27-30 "who am I to you?" and I think that I need to be reminded every day of the God who loves me and is cheering me on. You see I tend to put God in a box. I limit the power of His greatness by confining His authority in my life. As a leader, I know I must find myself just the opposite if I want to see students radically changed. I have to pursue God with a passion and understanding that He is wanting to give me more than I can ever imagine, more than I could ever experience on my own and a life full of His presence. I know that many times I view Jesus as someone who I admire and ignore but that's because I think that my ways are "higher than His." He needs to be the supreme authority of my life in order to see the lives of others changed.

So what would happen if we stopped limiting what God can do when it comes to our prayers? our personal quiet time? sharing grace to others? our ministries? Can we truly allow God to be the supreme authority in our lives without hesitation? I believe the answer is yes!

If that is the case then we should be ready to say these things:
1) In light of all Christ is, there is far more of Him to know than I've discovered.
2) Therefore, I must be passionate to know Him much more than I am.
3) I must draw near to Him with far more hope in Him than ever before.
4) God longs for the church to discover much more about His Son.
5) I must, therefore, proclaim Him to believers more fully than ever.
6) I must never fear praying or proclaiming His glory to much.

I have not achieved or arrived at any of this but I want my life to passionately reflect these things.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment